Will I lose my commercial license if I get a DUI?

On Behalf of | Mar 22, 2022 | DUI

Your livelihood as a commercial truck driver is in jeopardy after DUI arrest because you know that under Pennsylvania law that a conviction will lead you to losing your license. The state refers to the loss of a commercial driver’s license as a “disqualification.”

Depending on the offense, a disqualification may last a minimum of 60 days or up to a lifetime. But for a first-time DUI conviction, offenders lose their commercial license for a year. A second DUI conviction will lead to the loss of your commercial driver’s license for a lifetime.

You will lose your license

In Pennsylvania, a conviction for driving under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance is among the “major offenses” that will lead a person to lose his or her commercial license.

Other major offenses that will lead to the loss of your license include refusing to submit to chemical testing, leaving the scene of an accident, using a vehicle to commit felonies such as the distribution of drugs or human trafficking and causing a fatality through the negligent use of a commercial vehicle.

Out-of-state DUI convictions count, too

Regarding DUI, here are a couple things to remember:

  • The penalty will be harsher for a first-time DUI conviction if you drive a vehicle containing hazardous chemicals. In this situation, you will lose your license for three years.
  • You will not go unpunished, either, if that DUI conviction occurred in another state. Under these circumstances, you also will lose your commercial license for at least a year.

Keeping your driver’s license is essential if you want to continue to make a living. Understand the harsh penalties – including jail, fines, restitution and loss of license — that you face stemming from a DUI conviction

Work with attorney to seek dismissal

A DUI conviction will lead to serious consequences for truck drivers in Pennsylvania. You want to continue to work, so avoid this scenario. The best way to do that is by consulting with a skilled, experienced and reliable attorney who will work to get the charge reduced or dismissed.

FindLaw Network