West Chester DUI/DWI Crimes Defense Lawyer
What’s At Stake After A DUI?
Pennsylvania takes a staggered approach when it comes to penalizing people who drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs (DUI). No matter the level of your charge, Bellwoar Kelly, LLP will work with you so that you understand exactly what you face and what your legal options are.
There are three DUI levels that are based on blood alcohol content (BAC).
- General impairment: The first level applies to those who have a BAC level from .08 to .099 percent. A first-time conviction is considered a misdemeanor and penalties include up to six months of probation and a $300 fine.
- High BAC: The second level applies to drivers who have a BAC level from .1 to .159 percent. Penalties include a prison term ranging from 48 hours to six months. Fines range between $500 and $5,000, and there is a mandatory 12-month license suspension.
- Highest BAC: The final level applies to those with a BAC of .16 percent or higher. A conviction carries a prison sentence of at least 72 hours, but the term could be as high as six months. Fines range from $1,000 to $5,000. Those convicted will have their driver’s license suspended for at least 12 months.
It’s also important to be aware of other less obvious consequences of drunk driving. Here are some examples:
- For commercial driver’s license holders, a conviction could threaten their livelihood.
- Sometimes those convicted of DUI suffer a diminished professional reputation.
- Auto insurance prices will increase.
After a DUI in Reading, Pennsylvania, get in touch with our West Chester office by calling 610-314-7066.
Other Impaired Driving Crimes
Sometimes in tragic car accidents, people die. When police suspect that alcohol was a contributing factor, the driver suspected of driving while intoxicated may be charged with vehicular homicide via DUI.
If a person is seriously injured, prosecutors may bring aggravated assault charges. These are felony-level offenses that carry significant penalties. It’s important to call Bellwoar Kelly, LLP if you are facing these charges.
Bellwoar Kelly, LLP
Here are some other ways our attorneys can help in regard to DUI offenses:
- Appealing your driver’s license suspension: When your driver’s license is suspended because of a DUI conviction, you still have options.
- Clearing a DWI from your record: You may have options through the Pennsylvania expungement system. We can go over your needs during your free initial consultation.
To get started on your defense, spend some time with a lawyer from Bellwoar Kelly, LLP. Call 610-314-7066.