Protection from Abuse (PFA) Defense Lawyer

Last updated on October 4, 2022

A Protection From Abuse Order Can Affect Your Life And Your Family

Most people never imagine that someone will bring a restraining order against them. If this happens to you, you may have many questions regarding what it will mean for you and your loved ones. You need answers, as well as a strong advocate to protect your legal rights.

At Bellwoar Kelly, LLP, we understand the law regarding protection from abuse (PFA). Our aggressive and experienced attorneys have been practicing criminal law for decades. We represent clients throughout southeastern Pennsylvania from our offices in West Chester, Pottstown and Kennett Square.

Guidance Through Your PFA Charge

Your Bellwoar Kelly, LLP attorney will guide you through every step of the charges you face and defend you along the way. The following are facts you should know regarding PFAs:

  • Who can request a PFA – Any current or past romantic partner, family member or co-parent
  • The PFA process – Varies by county, but the accuser petitions the court where a judge decides whether to issue a temporary order. The court holds a hearing within 10 days to hear both sides of the allegations. If the judge orders the PFA, it can last up to three years.
  • Allegations for requesting PFAs are based on stalking, domestic violence or harassment.
  • Activities prohibited – generally forbidden from contacting in any way such as calls, physical contact or written communication, even friendly or nonthreatening communication
  • Penalties for violation – Turns from a civil matter to a criminal matter, and can include fines, jail time and probation

We understand just how much a PFA will affect your life and your loved ones. These allegations often occur while couples are going through a separation or divorce when emotions run high. We will help you get through it, however, and fight any allegations against you.

Talk With Us For Free

We offer free initial consultations. To schedule, call us at 610-314-7066 or fill out our online form.