What Are Crime Victim Rights in Pennsylvania?

Last updated on October 4, 2022

In the aftermath of a crime, too often the system focuses only on the defendant and loses sight of the person or people who suffered most from the crime – the victims. If you were the target of a crime, you may be dealing with physical injuries, financial loss, fear and mental anguish that can far outlast the court process. The good news is that the state of Pennsylvania does afford you certain rights as a victim of crime.

At Bellwoar Kelly, LLP, we believe in protecting your rights and we will serve as your advocate throughout the criminal process. We will make sure you have access to everything due to you. If you decide to bring a civil case, we can represent you for that, as well. Our goal is to return you to a position of power over your own life so you can move past this difficult chapter.

Understanding Your Rights Under The Law

Pennsylvania provides crime victims with rights during and after the criminal process. As a crime victim, you have the right to:

  • Information regarding hearings and court proceedings
  • Notice of arrests, release on bail or escape of the defendant
  • Assistance to you provided by the county
  • Attend all hearings with a family member or victim advocate
  • Information regarding restitution and compensation available
  • Give input at sentencing and post-sentencing

Certain details vary by county, and if the defendant is a juvenile, you may not receive as much access to information, but the court will still inform you of whether they are detaining or releasing the juvenile, and will still allow you to give input on the case.

The purpose of these rights is to restore you to the life you had before the crime happened. That may never be truly possible, but we will fight to have your voice heard.

Talk With Us Today

Find out what we can do to help you during this difficult time. Our initial consultations are always free, so there is no risk to you. We help clients in Chester County and throughout southeastern Pennsylvania. Call 610-314-7066 or fill out our online form to contact us.